Objectives of the Department
A. Patient Care:
- To provide accurate and precise results of common laboratory tests required by clinicians to establish or rule out a diagnosis and to monitor therapy.
- To perform the laboratory tests in cost effective way.
- To deliver the results as early as possible so that patients stay in the hospital for a very minimum period. To achieve this goal large-scale automation has been done in Haematology, Biochemistry and Serology.
- Not to perform in house tests, which are rarely asked for and are of non-essential nature; in order to cut down costs. Such tests if necessary will be sent outside.
- Self-dependent in supplies of safe blood and blood components to patients.
B. Community Service
- To regularly screen for common inherited diseases like sickle cell disease, G-6-P-D deficiency, Thalassemia, in born errors of metabolism, etc.
- To assist the GP department to maintain proper health of school going children.
- To assist the community for early detection of cancer in Bahrain.
- To do regular necessary tests on food handlers working in BDF.
- To help the administration to provide safe drinking water and prevention of infection.
- To regularly screen for infectious and non-infectious diseases of persons willing to join BDF.
- To carry out research works in house and in collaboration with other bodies such as AGU, RCSI and Bahrain University.
- To publish research works in local and international journals.