Objectives of the DepartmentA. Patient Care:
B. Community Service
- To provide accurate and precise results of common laboratory tests required by clinicians to establish or rule out a diagnosis and to monitor therapy.
- To perform the laboratory tests in cost effective way.
- To deliver the results as early as possible so that patients stay in the hospital for a very minimum period. To achieve this goal large-scale automation has been done in Haematology, Biochemistry and Serology.
- Not to perform in house tests, which are rarely asked for and are of non-essential nature; in order to cut down costs. Such tests if necessary will be sent outside.
- Self-dependent in supplies of safe blood and blood components to patients.
- To regularly screen for common inherited diseases like sickle cell disease, G-6-P-D deficiency, Thalassemia, in born errors of metabolism, etc.
- To assist the GP department to maintain proper health of school going children.
- To assist the community for early detection of cancer in Bahrain.
- To do regular necessary tests on food handlers working in BDF.
- To help the administration to provide safe drinking water and prevention of infection.
- To regularly screen for infectious and non-infectious diseases of persons willing to join BDF.
- To carry out research works in house and in collaboration with other bodies such as AGU, RCSI and Bahrain University.
- To publish research works in local and international journals.
- Our Lab consists of six clinical laboratories distributed into two main areas: Lab - I & Lab - IILab - I : It is locating in the ground floor of the new hospital building, it includes:Pathology Department Administration:Chief Medical technologist: LT. Col. Khalid Mattar Office :Phone No. 00973 – 17766644, Fax: 00973-1766661Chief Medical Staff deputy: Maj. Tahani Rashid Office, Phone No. 00973 – 17766636I T Coordinator: Mrs. Ghada Isa, Phone No. 00973 – 17766470Sample Receiving Area: (Working 24 Hour) Phone No. 00973 - 177665221. Biochemistry: (Working 24 Hour)Section in charge: Dr. K.S.MurtySection Senior: 1st W/O Shakeela A. RahmanPhone No. 00973 - 17766844, 00973 – 177662462. Overseas: (Working: Sun – Thu, 0:700 am – 02:00 pm)Section in charge: Mrs. Rana Yousif, Phone No. 00973 – 177664703. Haematology: (Working 24 Hour)Section in charge: Mr. Adnan Hassani, Phone No. 00973 – 17766343, 00973 - 17766634Section senior: Mrs. Iman Khalifa, Phone No. 00973 – 177661784. a) Blood Bank (X-match): (Working 24 Hour)Section in charge: Mrs. Hanifa Hassan, Phone No. 00973 - 17766256b) Blood Bank (Donor Section): (Working: Sun – Thu, 7am – 2pm & Tue 4 – 8pm)Section senior: Mrs. Elham Ahmed, Phone No. 00973 – 17766513, 00973 - 17766098
- Lab - II : It is locating in a separate building, outside the hospital, opposite to the Hospital Mosque. It includes:Pathology Department Administration:Head of department: Brg. Dr. Abdulla Darwish, 00973 – 17766655Department Secretary: Mr. Babo Philip, Phone No. 00973 – 17766300, 00973-17766843Sample Receiving Area (Working: Sun – Thu, 0:700 am – 02:00 pm)Phone No. 00973 – 177666405. MicrobiologyWorking 24 HourSection in charge: Maj. Tahani AL. QutiSection senior: Mrs. Amal EbrahimPhone No. 00973 - 17766515, 00973 – 177666456. SerologyWorking: Sun – Thu, 0:700 am – 02:00 pmSection in charge: 1st W/O. Majeda BasheerSection Senior: Mrs. Budoor AliPhone No. 00973 – 177667377. Histology & CytologyWorking: Sun – Thu, 0:700 am – 02:00 pmSection in charge: Ms. Safa Hassan, Phone No. 00973 - 17766447Blood Collection Area (Working: Sun – Thu, 0:700 am – 02:00 pm)It is locating in the old hospital building next to Radiology department.Phone No. 00973 – 17766638Laboratory services are supervised by The Chief Medical Technologist, LT.COL. Khalid Mattar. Head of Department, Brg. [Dr.] Abdulla Darwish directives all the above mentioned services and clinical laboratories.