Training & Development
IntroductionOur policy of developing the total work environment by way of education opportunities through continuing medical education, formal training, development programs and activities (through overseas and local universities/colleges and In-house) within the BDFRMS.We acknowledge that development of goals and fulfillment of this organization's vision. The end result being achievement of goals and fulfillment of this organization's vision.The mission of Bahrain Defence Force Hospital Continuous Medical Education Division, in particular, is to provide quality postgraduate medical education that maintains, develops and increases knowledge, skill and professional performance of physicians and health care provides who serve patients, the public and the profession.The content of the educational program is delivered by consultants and expert doctors, from all the hospitals in Bahrain and Professors and lecturers from the Arabian Gulf University. It is determined by vigorous assessment of the educational needs, program feedback, lectures, seminars workshops, chart review and new medical knowledge.Educational goals and objectives are established for each activity, and the target audience - physicians and other health care provides- is identified. Then taking each of these factors into consideration, the program format is identified and developed.The Continuous Medical Education division is responsible for the full co-ordination of the CME regular lectures plus the medical Postgraduate Training Courses such as Advanced Trauma Life Support Course (ATLS), Basic & Advanced Cardiac Life Support Courses (BLS & ACLS), Heart saver CPR Courses etc...Recently a Higher Surgical Workshop in GI Anastomosis & Vascular Surgery has been started since last March 2002 to provide our surgeons with the most advanced Surgical Training in General Surgery.
ATLSLocation: Arabian Gulf UniversityTelephone: 17766258Fax: 17766822 Email:Advanced Trauma Life SupportWhat is ATLS Course?The Advanced Trauma Life Support Course(ATLS) at both Instructor and Provider levels is designed to improve the ability of primary care physicians to assess patterns of severe trauma and to institute measures to save life and prevent further injury. The course combines didactic lectures and practical skill stations, which allow the participant to perfect his/her skills in the initial assessment, management and stabilization phases of trauma care.Course Duration:The Provider Course is three days, those participants who do well and are observed to have potential teaching skills will be invited to participate in the instructor course which takes one day and concentrates on the teaching on the leading methods.Objectives:
- The participants on completion of the ATLS Course will be able to:
- Demonstrate concepts and principles of patient assessment.
- Establish management priorities in a trauma situation.
- Initiate primary and secondary management that may be necessary, within the first hour of emergency care, for acute life-threatening situations.
- Demonstrate on stimulated patients the skills necessary in initial management of trauma victims.
Who Should Attend?
- Emergency Department Physicians.
- Primary Health Care Physicians
Course fees:BHD. 250/-Location:RCSI, Kingdom of Bahrain.
Sponsors in Bahrain:
Bahrain Defence Force Royal Medical Services
RCSI (Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland)
King Fahad National Guard hospital, Riyadh
Certification Recognized by:
The American College of Surgeons
Registration:The application form with two passport size photographs to be sent by the concerned authorized head of department to the ATLS office. Individuals fulfilling the criteria taking the course at their own expense are also welcome to register.ATLS Office:The office is located at the BDF Hospital, opposite to the staff cafeteria.Contact:Course Coordinator: Maj. Mirvat Al HajeriOffice Tel No.: 17766258,17766974Fax No.: 17766822P.O. Box: 28743Email:
- Resuscitation Training ProgramLocation: BDF HospitalTelephone: 17766258Fax: 17766822 Email:BLS, ACLS & Heart SaverCourses Overview
1. BLS: The Basic Life Support Course (BLS) is an eight hours course designed to allow the participants to update their skills on how to effectively perform CPR. This course follows the American Heart Association guidelines and is required for all participants in the ACLS Course.(as prerequisite)
2. ACLS: The Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Course is a 3 days program designed to provide ACLS certification to candidates successfully completing course. The course provides teaching and testing on core material and skills as mandated by the American Heart Association. the course is open to all medical, nurses, paramedical and allied health personnel (including students) whose daily occupation demanda proficiency in the knowledge and skills of ACLS. candidates must have a current BLS health care provider card and must be authorized to perform some or all of the functions of ACLS which are restricted by law.
3. Heart Saver: The Heart Saver Course is an eight hours course, designed to provide candidates with knowledge and skills necessary for performance of CPR for adults, children and infant victims in the community setting with training in the use of Automated External Defibrillator. The participant will be issued a course completion card and he/she will be able to perform life saving techniques according to the American Heart Association guidelines. The card carried by the candidate is fully recognized by the American Heart Association.Who Should Attend?
- Emergency Physicians
- Primary Health Care Physicians
- Respiratory Therapists
- Heart Savers
Location:RCSI, Kingdom of Bahrain.BDF Hospital, Kingdom of Bahrain.Sponsors in Bahrain:Bahrain Defence Force Royal Medical Services
- BLS: BHD. 100/-
- ACLS: BHD. 200/-
- Heart Saver: BHD. 100/-
American Heart Association
Registration:The application form with two passport size photographs to be sent by the concerned authorized head of department to the ACLS office. Individuals fulfilling the criteria taking the course at their own expense are also welcome to register.CME Office:The office is located at the BDF Hospital, opposite to the staff cafeteria.Contact:Program Director: Prof. Mary Tarief, Consultant CardiologistCourse Coordinator: Maj. Mirvat Al HajeriOffice Tel No.: 17766258Fax No.: 17766822P.O. Box: 28743Email:
- PHTLS-Pre Hospital Trauma Life Support
Location: BDF Hospital
Fax: 17766822 Email:Pre Hospital Trauma Life SupportWhat is PHTLS Course?The Pre Hospital Traume Life Support (PHTLS) Course is a unique continuing education program created in recognition of the real need in EMS education for additional training in handling of the trauma patients. This indispensable program is designed to enhance and increase knowledge and skill on delivering critical care in the pre hospital environment.Course Duration:The Student Provider Course is a two-day course: those who participates who do well and are observed to have potential teaching skills are invited to participate in a one day instructor course that concentrates on teaching methods.Objectives:
Who Should Attend?
- PHTLS courses provide a pre hospital trauma care philosophy, stressing the need to treat the multi system trauma patients as a unique entity with specific needs.
- This course will teach the candidate the physiology and kinematics of trauma and how rapidly assess a trauma patient.
- You will have the opportunity to enhance your examination and diagnostic skills as well as specific trauma intervention skills.
Why "take PHTLS" ?PHTLS teaches critical thinking skills and helps one make informed decisions when dealing with trauma. Hundreds of thousand of Physicians, Nursures, Paramedics and EMT's throughout the worls have taken PHTLS course and are now better prepared to treat severely injured trauma patients. PHTLS improves the quality of trauma care.What Credit is given?Verification of successful completion of the course is recognized for four years. The Provider Course provides 16 continuing education units while the Instructor Course provides 8 continuing education units.PHTLS Students learn to apply a pre-hospital trauma care philosophy, and in particular learn to:
- Nurses and other personnel
The Skills stations in the PHTLS Course include:
- Identify the mechanism of Injury
- Interpret signs and symptoms
- Understand pathophysiology
- Recognize life threatening injuries
- Identify a trauma patient with multiple injuries
- Asses trauma patients
- Perform appropriate interventions
- And a WHOLE LOT MORE!
Course fees:BHD. 200/-Location:RCSI, Kingdom of Bahrain.
- Airway Management
- Patient Assessment
- Spinal Immobilization
- Pediatric Assesment and Immobilization
- Final Assessment
Sponsors in Bahrain:
King Fahad National Guard hospital, Riyadh National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians
Registration:The application form with two passport size photographs to be sent by the concerned authorized head of department to the PHTLS office. Individuals fulfilling the criteria taking the course at their own expense are also welcome to register.PHTLS Office:The office is located at the BDF Hospital, opposite to the staff cafeteria.Contact:Course Coordinator: Maj. Mirvat Al Hajeri & Mr. Adel SalimOffice Tel No.: 17766258Fax No.: 17766822P.O. Box: 28743Email:
- Clinical Internship ProgramThe Medical Internship program at the RMS hospital is offered on a yearly basis to medical graduates selected by the RMS Training department. The program offers opportunities to gain insight and experience from the expertise of numerous consultants, specialists and heads of various departments at the RMS hospital. As of early 2010, the program has been redesigned and upgraded to reflect current clinical trends and advancements in the healthcare sector.Clinical Internship OverviewInterns will always be placed under the direct supervision of an experienced doctor. Interns will spend a specified period of time observing and learning in various departments and will be rotated according to the schedule below.
All interns need to spend the required time in the above mentioned departments. Selectives are rotations in different specialties other than the major ones mentioned above.CertificationA certificate will be issued to all interns after successful completion of the internship program.Rules & RegulationsAll rules and regulations are described in the interns log book which will be provided to all interns at the induction program.
- Medicine ( 3 months)
- Surgery (3 months)
- Obs & Gyne (2 months)
- Pediatrics (2 months)
- Selectives (2 months)